25.10.07

know what you pray for.



Calvin: Know what I pray for?

Hobbes: What?

Calvin: The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.


i've read this many times, and i still find it funny! why?

funny how sometimes in our communication with God we reveal more of our own hearts than we realize, instead of allowing Him to reveal His.

funny how we say our loud 'amen's now and then when someone prays while not soberly coming to terms with the essence of what we're agreeing to so mechanically.

funny how for the most parts of our nicely-strung prayers (when we attempt to maintain correctness in all our theology and doctrines of praying 'right'), we still tend to slot in a couple of 'but's and ask God to bless us more than beating our own hearts to beat His and bending our will to His.

funny how we struggle to be so objective and 'holy' in placing our requests before God knowing full well that our words may not echo the whispers of our inner being nor reflect truly the desires of our hearts.

what you pray must be from the heart, "...for you look deep within the mind and heart, O righteous God."

though the bible says, "but my people would not listen to me. they kept doing whatever they wanted, following the stubborn desires of their evil hearts. they went backward instead of forward." and "for from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts...", i believe still that the heart of prayer is to pray from the heart.

praying God's will is the aim. but prayer is also a journey of the heart and learning to lean towards God's will. an alignment of our will with His, a convergence of heaven on earth. so it's a process, and you gotta start with what's dearest on your heart, what's closest to your dreams. "...and he will give you the desires of your heart" suggests that coming before Him is an act of FIRST loving on Jesus before any thing/one else, and allow Him to bring you through a process of refining and aligning...and as your heart is poured out, you are then free to obey what God will say and to ask His will be done.

"guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." ~ Prov 4:23

Lord, let me hide your word in my heart, that i might not sin against you.



I lie in the dust; revive me by your word.
I told you my plans, and you answered. Now teach me your
decrees.
Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate
on your wonderful deeds.
I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word.
Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your
instructions.
I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your
regulations.
I cling to your laws. Lord, don’t let me be put to shame!
I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding.

psalm 119:25-32



between us and God, let it be with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our mind and with all our strength.




2 comments:

Too late to be consoled said...

will u help me recover.i m the saddest gurl of the world....i have no one with me...i am all alone

Anonymous said...

psalms 119:25-32... hmm.. good verses....