19.1.10

Dancing Day!

...or so they say.



I love to dance. Not everyone who knows me knows this, but yes, I do. Maybe this has to do with being introduced to dance music since young, and having memories of dancing with my dad for as long as I can remember.


The idea of dancing is so...stimulating. One thinks of movement, emotions, rhythm, hearts beating, beauty, harmony, oneness of the dancers. And then there's confusion, disunity, chaos, disjointed movements, forced smiles, sore feet and aching muscles. Surely the most beautiful choreographies are those of infinite possibilities and innovative postures. Choreography cannot be conceived simply in the mind. It must be lived. It must involve one's all - heart, soul, strength. Can dance be beautiful without these 'alls' ? But most of us can hardly imagine walking through life without weariness, much less waltz our way into the future!

(Photo taken from www.laballet.com)

It's saddening to hear news of church/temple attacks, and earthquakes, and rise in homelessness. As I pondered these past few days, what I think of when I dwell on the word 'perichoresis' (a term used to describe unity of the Godhead in Trinitarian theology) was this: Dancing can depict deep sorrow. It also can demonstrate deep joy.

And my favourite choreography would be one that infuses both sorrow and joy in its bittersweet motions that leaves me speechless at the complexity, creativity and altogether-impressive conclusion. In the rhythm of life, rarely is there a constant beat, a dull moment, a predictable year. "What of the Haitian victims' suffering?" we ask. With this new year ahead, how many of us feel prepared to face the countless challenges that lie before us, with our poor visibility in the fog of uncertainty? Is there truly dancing after the mourning?
(Photo taken from www.news.cnet.com)

Sometimes it feels as though we live in a time of endless mourning. But we are told in Holy Scripture that a time of joy will come. Though the sorrow may last for the night, his joy comes in the morning! It is with poor visibility that we should fix our eyes on what is unseen - because that is what lasts. Our troubles for this time are "achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." Even now, we get glimpses of this joy through those we love and cherish, i.e. our sorrow is not without a pinch of joy. A classic hymn known as "Tomorrow Shall be My Dancing Day" does remind us that THE Dancing Day has not arrived. There shall be such a day - pure joy. Meanwhile, we are still not done with THE final choreography. Remember: The conclusion of your dance means nothing without every movement that precedes it. In that we hope.

For you who read this, I pray that you will move with the flow of God in your dance this year:
  1. May you know divine guidance in your steps, and the continuity of your past, present and future as movements that build towards a beautiful conclusion.
  2. May you discover creativity amidst complexity in life through wisdom from above.
  3. May you move forward with assurance that the one who created you is your ultimate choreography partner - he is the one in whom you live and move and have your being.
As for me, I am asking God for renewed faith in his provision and power, and divine wisdom as I complete my 2-year program. The years ahead are not without challenges, but there is so much to look forward to! In the following 5+ months, I want to deepen my sense of purpose and destiny to live (dance!) for him as I consider my next step post-Fuller, and find significance directly from the Source of my origin, the One to whom I shall one day return for my Dancing Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rather cool blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).