7.8.08

The Shepherd and the blind man


When Jesus healed the blind man at the pool of Siloam, He knew it was the Sabbath (Jn 9:14). The man went and washed [the mud made with spit from his eyes], and came home seeing. Everyone wanted to know what exactly happened. Even the Pharisees were busy interrogating the man. Blind since birth, now 'came home seeing'. Quite a town-stirrer!
"One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"
"What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?"
"I've told you already and you didn't listen. Why do you wanna hear it again? You wanna become his disciples, too?"
I love this part. The Pharisees loathed it. They threw him out.

I found it remarkable that Jn 9 tells us Jesus approached the blind man two times: (1) to heal his eyesight in v 6, and (2) show him the subject of his worship in v 37. He Himself pursued him, and he worshipped him (vv 35-38).

Later in Jn 10:21 some of the Jews said, "...can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"
The man whose sight was healed said in Jn 9:32, "Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind."

It occurred to me the passage about the Good Shepherd is even more significant because it is slipped in between the story in  Jn 9 and Jn 10:21. Between both passages that mention the healing of the blind is a passage that talks about hearing. Hearing the shepherd whose voice is known by his sheep. He calls them by name, their ears know his voice, and in trusting recognition they follow him. Hearing becomes so much more acute when we cannot see. I wonder what it was like for that blind man to suddenly have his sight restored - he has never SEEN before! - and suddenly, he beholds the Son of Man. That must've been so amazing! 
"Who is he, sir? Tell me..."
"You have now seen him...the one speaking with you."
"Lord, I believe."
"...I have come...so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."

Revelation of Jesus is beyond sight.
You have not SEEN until you've seen Jesus.

Recognize He pursues you in your darkness, touches you with His tender hands on the most unlikely day.
Obey His voice even when you cannot see ahead of you, let your ears catch when He whispers or calls you by name.
Acknowledge He is God amidst accusation and threat from those who want to steal, kill or destroy your revelation of Him.

He WANTS us to trust his voice, be awed by him, worship him, follow Him by faith and not by sight.

I DON'T KNOW A LOT, BUT ONE THING I DO KNOW. I WAS BLIND BUT NOW I SEE. YOU SAY HE ISN'T GOD. I SAY UNLESS HE IS GOD HE CANNOT OPEN BLIND EYES. 
MY SHEPHERD, GIVE ME A REVELATION OF YOU. 

No comments: